It's the first mention of Bush's name during the entire Republican Primary and Vulture Capitalist Mitt Romney made it,
"I keep hearing the president say he's responsible for keeping the country out of a Great Depression. No, no, no, that was President George W. Bush."Thanks to Green Eagle for altering me to Romney's Declaration.
Now, I think I understand what Romney meant, but in order to understand Mitt you have to see the world through his gold-rimmed monocle. Because to Mitt and his Upper Echelon 1% brethren there hasn't been a Depression let alone a Recession. Romney and the Plutocratic Thieves made out extraordinarily well during Bush's Presidency. It's just that the 99% suffered under Bush and Cheney.
Under Bush and Cheney the top 0.1% got a tax cut of $520,000, 450 times what the middle income taxpayer received. The bottom 20% only got 1% of the tax cut. The tax cuts were sold as a way to bring in middle class jobs and rising middle class wages.
Koch Industries and the Exxon-Mobile funded Heritage Foundation rabidly cheered and promoted the Bush Tax Cuts. The Heritage Foundation's 2001 report proclaimed if the Bush tax cut legislation were to pass, it would:
1) Effectively pay off the federal debt;Everyone of those claims was a deliberate lie to sell the tax cuts to the middle class as a job creator and deficit reducer. None of these claims occurred. But, what did occur was a massive transfer of wealth to the Ultra-Wealthy, which were the true goals of the Bush Tax Cuts and part of the Republican plan all along.
2) Reduce the federal surplus by $1.4 trillion;
3) Substantially increase family income;
4) Save the entire Social Security surplus;
5) Increase personal savings;
6) Create more job opportunities.
Steal Billions and funnel it to the 1%. George Bush and Dick Cheney ran the United States as if hundreds of millions of Americans didn't exist. Bush couldn't give a shit if your job got sent overseas or if an illegal immigrant got it as long as his 1% buddies got millions of stolen taxpayer dollars. Bush couldn't give a shit if thousands die in New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina. Bush couldn't give a shit is thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis die in his Bullshit War in Iraq, "Bring'em on!"
All Bush cared to do was to perpetuate and accelerate the massive redistribution of Wealth, begun by Reagan, upwards to the 1%, while grinding the working class and middle class into Wage Slavery and bondage under the tyrannical control of Plutocratic elites, or as Bush himself put it, "Some call you the Elites - I call you my base."