"The NRA is now revealed as an insane organization," Paul Krugman.I disagree Paul. The NRA isn't insane, they simply have no compunctions or scruples about keeping the spigot of money flowing to the Firearms Industry and rivers of innocent blood flowing in the streets.
So, stories like the 4 people shot, with 3 killed (2 of them children) in Denver today won't dissuade Wayne LaPierre from his Holey Mission.
Nor will any of these recent events:
- In Eugene, Oregon, a totally responsible Open Carry Gun Nut negligently popped off a round, while his piece was strapped in his leg holster, and shot himself at an Internet cafe.
- A Conservative Domestic Terrorist, Jimmy Lee Dykes murdered a bus driver and kidnapped a 6 year old, holding the boy hostage for 8 days in his underground bunker, until a breach and entry killed Dykes.
- Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL known for claiming a record number of sniper killings in Iraq was one of two men shot dead at a Texas gun range, allegedly at the hands of a fellow military veteran, officials say. Kyle, the author of the best-selling American Sniper, and Chad Littlefield, also a veteran, were gunned down Saturday afternoon on the grounds of the expansive Rough Creek Lodge and Resort in Glen Rose, Texas, southwest of Fort Worth, law enforcement officials said.
- The unnamed "security officer" hired to protect students, who negligently left his gun unattended in a Lapeer County, Michigan charter school student restroom "for a few moments", will not lose his job keeping children "safe".
- In Calveras County California, former airline captain Philip Marshall, 54, killed his son Alex, 17, and daughter Macaila, 14, each with a single bullet to the head, as they slept under blankets on the living room couch. He then pointed the gun at his head and committed suicide.
- A Cleburne, Texas man who negligently will not face charges.
Do any of these incidents make you feel safer?
Conservative Domestic Terrorists have hopped on the NRA band-wagon that Obama and his children are out-of-touch elitists for having armed security, the Secret Service, around them 24/7 and demand that every red-blooded American be afforded the same rights. (Although Wayne LaPierre is, of course, not an out-of-touch elitist for having armed security.)
And I agree. In order to purchase firearms, every American must go through the same background investigation, psychological examinations, and weapons-handling training that the Secret Service goes through. Any flags which would disqualify one from being an Secret Service Agent will disqualify the person from owning guns.
In 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2,694 children and teens in the United States died because of a firearm. Another 15,578 children and teens were injured.
We are not a Free Nation. We, the People are being held hostage to the whims of murderous right-wing terrorists and criminal gangs. The massive influx of firearms into society did not make us safer. It hasn't even presented the illusion of safety.