Friday, November 8, 2019

Dennis McKinnon the 1985 Bears and Hubris

As the Chicago Bears suffer through another disappointing season, after it began with such promise and talk of Super Bowl aspirations, it's time to reflect on the one Bear Super Bowl Championship; the Legendary 1985 Bears.

The young me who half watched the Bears demolish the Patriots (spit) in Super Bowl XX had no idea it would be 20 years before another Bears team even made the big game.

To be fair, I don't watch football on TV much anymore, don't gamble on games, and don't go to games or buy merchandise because of the barbarity of the sport. Added together with the treatment of Colin Kaepernick provided me the ability to sever connections almost completely*.

But, I believe I will buy Dennis McKinnon's new book, Chicago Bear #85 Silky D Bares All authored with the late great Chicago sportscaster Chet Coppock. The 85 Bears have been overanalyzed since their failure to win a second or third Championship and cement themselves as the Dynasty of 1980's, that honor went to the San Francisco 49ers. McKinnon did the Chicago Sports Radio talk shows and tore into the Bears ownership and management because Ego and Hubris, from coaches, owners and players were all responsible for Bears One-and-Done fate; a fate which seems to be befalling the most recent Chicago over-hyped Champion the 2016 Cubs.

(* - I started "playing" Fantasy Football back in 1992 with High School friends and my first Title was in 1993 thanks to Marcus Allen's 13 touchdown Chiefs season. Much to my chagrin I still indulge with my old friends. I recommend Nate Jackson's book Fantasy Man.)

No comments: